Thursday, November 30, 2006

Holey Christians

Part 2: The Illogical Christ.

At its foundation Christianity is illogical. To understand one must take a step back and ask the basic questions. Questions like; what is a god?

So what is a god? The best answer I have is that a god is a perfect being. What does that really mean? It means that god is the best thing, there is nothing better then god, it also means that god is nothing less then perfect. What are the ramifications of that statement? It means that god is unchanging, for to change is to imply that there is lack of perfection on one side of the change (before or after change.)

Now with that in mind let’s look at the fundamentals of Christianity. Christianity is a faith that follows the life and teachings of Jesus of Nazareth or Jesus the Christ. To many the most important part of Christ’s life was in fact his death. In that camp of thought the moment Christ died on the cross was the moment that God forgave mans sins and admitted human souls into Heaven. If so, the moment Christ died God changed, and that just can’t be, it is a logical inconsistency.

Also another little problem, conventionally it is taught that Jesus was born Christ. To be Christ is to be Godly. Thus if Jesus was indeed born Christ then Jesus the boy human would have been God, to be that is to know what God knows. That would mean that Jesus the boy would have remembered the creation (however it happened) the eons before his birth, and if God is all knowing then Jesus would have known the future as well. Jesus as God would also mean that he would known Heaven and hell and experienced both.

At the surface that seems ok but a part of Christianity is that supposedly Jesus lived as a mortal and suffered as a mortal, but if Jesus was God and the above holds then that’s one lousy sacrifice. It would be akin to pricking your finger with a needle and calling that a sacrifice. Also Scripture says so,
“Jesus, knowing all that was going to happen
to him…”
John 18:4, NIV

The real logical inconsistency comes to the surface with the events surrounding the eve of the crucifixion. Scripture says,
“And being in anguish, he prayed more earnestly, and his sweat was like drops of blood falling to the ground.” Luke 22:44 NIV.
If Jesus was God then he would know his fate, he would know that he would die, and rise again, and sit at the right hand of God, and to know that would purge any fear. But apparently this is not so, that is if scripture is correct.

The sweating of blood can also be seen in a different light: If Jesus was God then Jesus would not fear for fear is anti-desire and only mortals have desire.

4 Comments:

Blogger A Wiser Man Than I said...

Jesus was not simply God, he was God Incarnate, the Word made flesh, a delightful paradox, True God and True Man.

It would be akin to pricking your finger with a needle and calling that a sacrifice.

If you haven't watched the Passion, you need to do so. This wasn't merely a "finger prick" and suggesting as much is preposterous.

Further, Christ's anguish wasn't for His Sacrifice, but for the Sin of the World, for which He was willingly butchered. When he agonized in the garden, every sin that had been committed, that would be committed, pressed upon him. Including that of you and me.

12/03/2006 9:30 AM  
Blogger MMM said...

Fist I have watched the “Passion of the Christ” By Mel Gibson, actually I own a copy.
I apologize I was at fault in not making my point: If Christ was born divine then he would have remembered the eons of the past which does not compare to the thirty-three years he lived on earth, his life much less the last three days would have been negligible in Christ’s experience.

I understand this concept via a personal story: I have had and still have Acne Folliculitis. In my case it is Acne of the torso that manifests itself as boils. My back is significantly scarred. The summer of 2004 I was treated with Accutane, this made my Acne worse. At one point I was using 7-8 bandages a day to stop the bleeding on my back (the bleeding was running and dripping as if from a deep laceration.) Now this was nowhere near what Christ suffered on the cross but as I lived those days it was horrible, I did not think that I would survive. But now as I look back at it in retrospect it was three months of the twenty-four years that I have lived; that little bit of pain is nothing compared to the other years of health and happiness that I have lived.

12/03/2006 8:23 PM  
Blogger A Wiser Man Than I said...

If Christ was born divine then he would have remembered the eons of the past which does not compare to the thirty-three years he lived on earth, his life much less the last three days would have been negligible in Christ’s experience.

So an eighty-year old man who is brought before a firing squad suffers not? Human beings suffer in the here and now; if Christ was human--which I firmly believe--he suffered tremendously on the Cross.

But now as I look back at it in retrospect it was three months of the twenty-four years that I have lived; that little bit of pain is nothing compared to the other years of health and happiness that I have lived.

But at the time the pain was all but insufferable. Looking back on His Crucifixion, Christ may have felt better about events... is that what you imply? Even so, this did not mitigate his suggering while he was on the Cross. Suggesting otherwise is very bizarre.

12/04/2006 10:53 AM  
Blogger MMM said...

If Christ was fully human AND fully God then he would have felt the pain as a human and then it would have been highly mitigated by him being fully God.

Yes that fist time around it was all but an insufferable pain, but now as the boils come and go they are laudable. They still hurt but it’s an insignificant pain for I know what will happen: they will swell up, hurt, burst, then heal; and my life will go on.

Christ as fully God would have experiences of immense joy and pain beyond our ability to comprehend and thus the pain of the cross would have been lessened; just as now I fear not the pain of my boils.

12/04/2006 6:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home